Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What must I do to have white goods and bulky items collected from my Home?

A: Follow these steps.
Call the collection contractor for your area or the GSWMA Office and give the following details.
Your name and address, a contact number, what item/s you have for disposal and a description of where you live. You will be given the date and time schedule for the special collection service for your specific community. Place the item/s on the roadside in front of your home on the date given by the contractor or the Authority. The contractor will collect your item/s.

back to top

Q: Do I have to pay for special collection services?

A: There is no charge for special collection service to householders.

back to top

Q: What is the name and contact number for the collection contractor for my area?

A: Look at the attached map, try to identify which zone you are in on the map and you will find the details for the contractor for collection service in the directory below which is listed by contract zones.
Also in the directory are the contact details for Street cleaning contractors.

Contact Info

1a Kenny’s Trucking
Kenny Forrester Dusty Highway, True Blue, St. George’s
Tel: 439-6605 - Fax:442-6344
1b Southern Waste
Management Ltd.
Victor Scott Mt. Gay, St. George’s. Grenada.
Tel : 435 -3478 - Fax: 435-3478
2 SP’s Solid Waste
Selwyn Pierre Perdmotemps junction, St. David’s.
Tel: 435-3862 - Fax: 435 -3862
3 Dikid Environmental management Services
Leslie Phillip Balthazar, St. Andrew’s.
Tel: 438-2914 Fax :438-2941
3 Pierres Solid Waste Services
Leslie Phillip Balthazar, St. Andrew’s.
Tel: 438-2914 Fax :438-2941
3 Glen David Environmental Care
Leslie Phillip Balthazar, St. Andrew’s.
Tel: 438-2914 Fax :438-2941
4 Mitchell’s Trucking
Willan Mitchell Mt Nesbit, St.John’s
Tel: 437-0039 - Fax:437-0040
5 SD's Solid Waste Company Stephen Davis Lauriston, Carriacou
Tel : 443-7396 - Fax :443-7396

back to top

Q : What is a simple way to start a compost.

A : Here are 10 simple steps to follow.
Choose a shaded area in your backyard.
About 4ft by 4ft sq. Place a layer of brown organic material in your selected area. Eg dried leaves, paper, cardboard, wood shaving/sawdust, dried grass etc.
Place a layer of green organic material on the layer of browns. Eg. Vegetable peelings, old fruits, green leaves, freshly cut grass, trimmings, food scraps and discarded provision. Continue layering your pile with alternates of brown and green material of equal quantities, ending with a layer of brown material. Each layer may be about six inches high. Dampen each layer by wetting with water. When squeezed with your hand the composting material should feel as a damp rag that has been squeezed.
Turn your pile once a week to allow air to circulate in the pile.
Add material to your pile at any time, always ending with a layer of brown material.
The compost will be ready to use when it is Dark brown and crumbly to the touch, has a earthy odour, has stopped giving off heat and when there are no more worms, millipedes and insects moving around in the pile.
Use compost in your kitchen, vegetable or flower garden.

back to top

Q: How do I dispose of roofing and other building material?

A: All unwanted construction material not including earth and excavated material should be taken to the landfills for safe disposal.
It is the responsibility of the home owner or building contractor to make their own transport arrangements to take the waste to the site.
Construction and demolition waste is not collected by the Authority but the material is accepted at the Landfills for safe disposal.

back to top

Q: What should I do if I see someone dumping illegally?

A: All instances of illegal waste disposal should be reported to the Police or the Environmental Health Department of the Ministry of Health. It would be a wise idea to take information such as Vehicle number, vehicle type and the type of waste which was deposited and the date and time it was observed.

back to top

Q: What is the collection day for garbage in my community.

A: You can get information on the garbage collection days and times for your community by calling the Solid Waste Management Authority or the contractor responsible for waste collection in your area.
Collection schedules are also contained in the services section on this web site.

back to top

Q: My nights are disturbed badly by mosquitoes, How and what do I have to do to get rid of them?

A: Getting rid of the breeding sites for mosquitoes will help to reduce the Mosquito population in your neighbourhood. This can be done by:

  • Putting holes in garbage bins to prevent them from accumulating water when it rains.
  • Collecting all old items from around the home which may serve to accumulate water such as tins, bottles, cans, containers, broken toys, old appliances etc.
  • clearing drains which are clogged with waste to allow water to be free flowing.

back to top

Q:. Stray dogs are creating overnight spills in my community. How can this problem be solved?

A:. Dogs and cats often go to garbage bins to forage for food. If there is an odour, animals may be attracted to the waste and this can result in spills created by the tearing of bags and their scratching action. The design of some bins served to prevent the entry of animals. However, they still make the extra effort to access the receptacles and gain entry. To avoid spills, residents can help by doing the following. If you must use a public receptacle, place waste out for collection service only on garbage collection days and about an hour before collection is due for your area. This will serve to limit the amount of time animals have to forage for left overs and therefore create less spills. If you use a personal receptacle, ensure it is properly covered and placed out so that it cannot be reached by animals. Try double-wrapping waste which are known to attract animals in news paper before placing in tied bags for collection. This serves to mask the release of odours from items such as baby nappies, disposable food containers, fish or fresh meat scraps, blood and cooked foods.

back to top

Q: The Garbage truck cannot get to my neighbourhood, what do I do with my garbage?

  • If the garbage truck does not come into your community to provide collection service here are the steps to follow:
  • Notify the Authority so that an investigation can be carried out to see how best we can serve you.
  • If your community cannot be accessed, you can bag your waste and take it to the nearest designated collection point in a neighbouring community for collection,but be sure to place out your waste only on the designated day for collection in the chosen community.

back to top

Q: My community group wants to construct a community garbage bin. How do we go about doing so?

A: It is not a wise idea to construct a garbage bin in your community without first consulting with the GSWMA. Where collection service is offered to a community a bin may not be necessary and construction or placement of a bin in a community serves to break the discipline of waste storage in the home resulting in persons placing waste out for collection as it is generated. This results in overfilled bins and street spills in the vicinity often on non-collection days.

back to top